If you wish to know the functions of Nafdac, then you have come to the right place.
NAFDAC is an acronym for National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. NAFDAC was established by Decree No. 15 of 1993, as amended by Decree No. 19 of 1999, and governed by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control Act Cap N1 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (LFN) 2004.
This Act regulates and controls the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, advertisement, sale, and use of Food, Drugs, Cosmetics, Medical Devices, Packaged Water, and Chemical (collectively known as regulated products).
In October 1992, Nafdac became legally constituted. It is a federal organization in Nigeria that reports to the Federal Ministry of Health.
The current Director General of the Agency is Mrs. Mojisola Adeyeye; she was appointed on the 3rd of November 2017 by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
NAFDAC is made up of 13 Directorates to efficiently carry out its mandate to regulate and manage the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, advertisement, sale, and use of food, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, chemicals, and medical equipment. A Director is in charge of each Directorate.
Why Was NAFDAC formed?
The Federal Government created the organization in 1993, following the nation’s health and safety rules to combat illegal and counterfeit goods.
Nigeria has a problem with adulterated and fake medications. In one incident in 1989, paracetamol syrup containing diethylene glycol was responsible for the deaths of almost 150 children.
Neighboring countries like Ghana and Sierra Leone banned the selling of pharmaceuticals, foods, and beverages created in Nigeria due to the level of impurity in the nation.
These issues prompted the creation of NAFDAC, whose objectives include eradicating fake foods, beverages, and pharmaceuticals and guaranteeing that all market treatments are secure and efficient.
NAFDAC was established due to a 1988 World Health Assembly decision that asked for assistance from nations in addressing the threat that fake drugs pose to the World’s health.
1992 brought in the first governing Council of Nafdac, and Tanimu Saulawa served as the council chairman.
The enabling law was enacted as legislative Decree No. 15 of 1993 in January of that year. NAFDAC was formally constituted as a “parastatal of the Federal Ministry of Health” on the 1st of January, 1994.
The Directorate of Food and Drug Administration and Control, a former department of the Federal Ministry of Health, was replaced by NAFDAC when it was shown to be inefficient in preventing the sale of fraudulent medications due to a lack of rules.
(NAFDAC) is headed by a chairman, who presides over a governing council appointed by the President on the recommendation of the Minister of Health.
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
The functions of NAFDAC, as provided in the enabling law that establishes it, is to:
- Regulate and control the importation, exportation, manufacture, advertisement, distribution, sale, and use of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, bottled water, Chemicals, and detergents (Regulated Products);
- Conduct appropriate tests and ensure compliance with standard specifications designated and approved by the Council for effective control of the quality of regulated products and their raw materials as well as their production processes in factories and other establishments;
- Undertake appropriate investigation into the production premises and raw materials for regulated products and establish relevant quality assurance systems, including certification of the production sites and the regulated products;
- Undertake inspection of imported regulated products and establish relevant quality assurance systems, including certification of the production sites.
- Compile standard specifications, regulations, and guidelines for the production, importation, exportation, sales, distribution, and registration of regulated products;
- Undertake the registration of foods, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, bottled water, Chemicals, and detergents;
- Control the exportation and issue quality certification of products intended for export.
- Establish and maintain relevant laboratories or other institutions in strategic areas of Nigeria as may be necessary for the performance of its functions.
- Pronounce the quality and safety of Products after appropriate analysis.
- Take measures to ensure that narcotic and psychotropic substances are limited to only medical and scientific purposes.
- Grant authorization for the import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, and other controlled substances.
- Collaborate with National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) to eradicate drug abuse in Nigeria.
- Advice Governments, the private sector, and other interested bodies regarding the quality, safety, and regulatory provisions on regulated products.
- Issue guidelines, grant approvals, and monitor the advertisement of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, bottled water, Chemicals, and detergents.
- Compile and publish relevant data resulting from the performance of the agency’s functions or other sources.
- Sponsor such national and International conferences as may be considered appropriate.
- Liaise with relevant establishments within and outside Nigeria in pursuance of its functions and;
- Carry out such activities as are necessary or expedient to perform their functions.
Units Of NAFDAC
NAFDAC is made up of several units, including:
The Legal Unit
This unit is responsible for keeping track of all legal paperwork and agreements about the agency and providing legal counsel on matters involving “law arising from Employee-Employer relationship.”
The Public Relations Unit
The director-office general is in charge of the Public Relations division. Its primary mission is to inform, sensitize, enlighten, and raise awareness about the agency’s role. Eight directorates make up the agency, with the final two being newly created.
The internal Audit Unit
Conduct specialized investigations and offers a way to gauge the efficiency of the internal control and accounting system.
These are the main functions of Nafdac